Wednesday, February 21, 2018

look for "The Hotel" on all the best sellers list

Several months ago Christopher mentioned he was worried that Sesame might not have much of an imagination. I told him not to worry about it. It is with as much humility as I can muster that I'm here to report I was right (again). Her imagination is in tiptop shape.
She has three imaginary friends. This is Goldbug. He is a gold bug. He wears a white shirt and purple and white mask.
This is his wife Garby. She's a pink unicorn with blue and white spots. "Ok, Mom. They're regular spots, not polka dot spots."
The very recent addition to their family is Carla. She's a girl and therefore a unicorn like her mother. She asked me to write a letter to Goldbug and Garby telling them she was "worried that Carla cried two times last week." 
Last night was Goldbug's birthday. I was tired and not really in the mood for yet another birthday party, but I throw together the lowest of low-key parties. I banned presents and all decorating. Even I have a limit when it comes to throwing a party after bedtime for an imaginary friend. We all, except for baby Carla, got a chocolate and sang happy birthday.

I swear Sesame has been talking from the day she was born. Her first word wasn't even a word. It was a short sentence- "Hi, Daddy." Yesterday she talked to me about the history of Frozen nonstop for forty minutes when we were trapped in the car. She talks from when she wakes up in the morning to well past when she's in bed for the night. I was a talkative child so what goes around comes around. The first story she made up over a year ago was, "Happy cat, happy mouse." That evolved into "Happy cat ate the happy mouse. Happy cat."
This past weekend she wrote the following story. I acted as the scribe and part-time illustrator.
This is Princess Watermelon. She was in her bedroom one morning getting out a bright pink dress. She saw that her bright pink dress was dirty so she got a red dress. She put it on then picked up a pair of black pants. She saw the surfing hamster getting out of his pajamas.
The surfing hampster cleaned his surfer and then he put on his new water shoes and his sun hat and sunscreen because he was going to the bed with the watermelon princess. Then he packed to go to the hotel.
The watermelon princess jumped into the water with the surfing hampster to look for fish to bring to the hotel. They caught a whale to bring back to the house.
They checked out their room. They thanked the one who cleaned the room for cleaning the room. They put the suitcases under the bed. The surfing hampster packed some extra bathing suits and water shoes. The watermelon princess thanked the one cleaning the room. 
I'm touched she included the part about thanking the one who cleaned the hotel room. I always leave a thank you note for housekeeping when we stay at a hotel so it's sweet she followed my example and added it to the story.

Now if only she'd follow my example and have more respect for quiet/less-talking times.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I love this so much haha! She is awesome.

Sarah said...

I read this aloud to Mom. When I got to the part where you say you were a talkative child, she said, "SHE SURE WAS."

rooth said...

This is the sweetest thing, especially the part where she thanks everyone. What a considerate girl she is!