Sunday, March 18, 2018

The Human Piggybank

It started out as a normal weekend but things rapidly went south. It turned into a weekend full of Those Days.

We didn't do anything out of the ordinary- did some school, went to Home Depot, planted flowers, cleaned the house- but everything was going wrong. Christopher brought up buying a gun to shoot the snakes which reminded me again that I wish we didn't have to move here. Annabelle's nose was bleeding and wouldn't stop. She acted up in the store. None of the errands got done. I tried to glue something and the cover came off and the glue went everywhere. The lettuce went bad. A lizard got in the house. It went on and on. None of it was a big deal on its own but combined, it was too much. (I lie. The lizard was a big deal.)

I went to Ulta and things started to look up. I went to Walmart and was about to check out when Christopher called and said, "Everything is fine but..." I HATE when I get those calls. Once he called to say, "Don't panic, but I passed out and drove off the road." My mom does the same thing. "Everything is fine, but Elizabeth fell off the roof and we're in an ambulance on the way to the hospital." DON'T SAY EVERYTHING IS FINE IF IT OBVIOUSLY IS NOT FINE.

This time was Annabelle. She was playing in the living room when she put a coin in her mouth and choked on it. Christopher's biggest nightmares are snakes and choking. He heard her gagging and rushed in to see his nightmare coming to life. He wasn't sure if she had actually swallowed it or if she had coughed it up but he was bringing her to urgent care to be checked. When he called I was standing by the peanut butter. I just sighed and thought "Of course. Of course, something like this would happen today."  Part of me felt like a bad mom for not instantly running to urgent care, but the situation seemed to be under control (she was breathing and talking, etc) and I didn't want to go through all the work of getting the groceries again. I took the groceries home, grabbed her shoes and meet them at the urgent care. I also brought a bow because I was positive Christopher wouldn't have remembered to put one on her if he had gone out the door without shoes. She couldn't be in a compromised health situation and not look cute!

When I got to urgent care they were having the x-ray done. Sesame came back in the room full of stories of having a picture taken of her belly through her dress ("I didn't eben hab to take my clothes off!") and how the man drew on her belly with a marker. "But not a marker like I hab! A flat one." Christopher looked like a man who had faced his worst enemy and barely escaped. The x-ray showed that she had indeed swallowed a coin. It wasn't a dime or even a penny. It was a quarter. Go big or go home. She didn't pass the quarter last night so we went back today for another x-ray. The coin is still hanging out in the same spot in her stomach. If it doesn't work its way out tonight, we'll have another x-ray and see her doctor tomorrow. 
I always wanted to swing by urgent care after church. 
We are so thankful it's "only" a foreign object in her stomach. It could have gotten lodged in her airways and we'd be in a very different situation right now. She was able to do the Easter egg hunt at church that she's been talking about for days. She was running around with 25 cents hanging out in her stomach.
I didn't go to the emergency room until my teen years. Sesame Pie has been three times in the last 6 months. She better not keep this up! If she does I'm going to speak to management about getting myself a pay increase. Hopefully, it will be more than 25 cents.

3 comments:

Emily said...

oh my goodness! I don't even know what else to say...I have no idea how I would handle that! Good job, guys!! Also, you know I love her dress! I think you HAVE to keep this one "this is the dress you were wearing the day you swallowed a quarter!"... :)

Jen said...

I'm so glad that she is okay!!!

Rachel said...

Oh no! That's so scary! And I know what you mean about the "Everything is fine" phone calls--I've had those a couple times when different siblings got into significant car accidents. Your heart just drops.