Wednesday, August 26, 2020

first school report

Annabelle's first week of school was a little rocky.

She got in the car on the first day very disappointed. "We didn't get to play or interact. All we did was talk about all the rules and I can't remember all the rules and we didn't do anything fun because we only talked about rules and I've never heard so many rules in my life." I don't know why she talks in  run-on sentences because it's certainly not from me because I am always succinct and precise and do not blabber on. She didn't cry when I dropped her off, but she'd cry a few times during the day. Every single morning she says she doesn't want to go but she doesn't make a fuss about it. She says it more in a ''just so you know where I stand on this, I wouldn't be upset if YOU want to go back to sleep and I skip school today" kind of way. She expected there to be more playing like she did at preschool and it never occurred to me to clarify that ahead of time. I think once she adjusts she'll really enjoy it. She told me on Thursday that she played with a girl named either Delilah or Alana, she couldn't remember which. On Friday she confirmed that it was Delilah and they played together again. Having a friend has made this week a little easier.

I've had to learn how to operate the carline. The drop off line goes so much more smoothly than pickup. Even with each car stopping so they can take the child's temperature, things move along and everyone is friendly. By three o'clock these people are driving like they're trying to be on the last helicopter out of Vietnam. It's much more aggressive. I have to leave the house an hour early to get a good spot in the pickup line so I bring a snack and book to entertain myself. There are unspoken rules that everyone but me seems to know about merging and signaling and I broke all the rules the first few days. My go-to reaction if I don't know what to do while driving is slump down in the seat and make myself as small as possible.

I'm proud that AB does a good job of reporting the classroom gossip happenings. She's terrified of being corrected by the teacher but gives me a report each day on everyone else's behavior. "Nolan K had his clip moved to yellow but I didn't. I'm serious, Mom. I didn't. But Payton didn't listen and had to do laps during recess." It's become clear who the class troublemakers are.

Speaking of driving, I took advantage of my precious alone time hours to visit the DMV. I made an appointment online but surprise, surprise they couldn't find me in the system. The lady asked if I was sure I already had a Georgia license. There are few things I am sure about these days but knowing which state my license is in is one of them. My most recent Massachusetts license photo was spectacular. I seldom compliment photos of myself but that one was a real winner. Not to toot my own horn, but TSA people would comment on how good it was. My first Georgia license picture wasn't great but it wasn't the worst. This trip would be my chance to redeem myself and recreate the Massachusetts glory. Last time I was there the photos were taken in a little room off to the side. This time I had to do it in front of the entire waiting room. There was no privacy and it felt like everyone was watching. It was very awkward. I was barely in position before the lady took the picture with no warning. I had no time to suck in all my multiple chins and look presentable. She printed out the paper copy without showing me the picture and said "This will be your license photo until 2026." 

Allow me to show you the picture I am stuck with for the next six years.
It is mortifying. I will be going into hiding as soon as I publish this. No one will ever be able to see that picture.  

3 comments:

Michelle said...

In Ohio we always have our picture taken in front of everyone and I hate it!! I’m still traumatized that I had to have mine taken while 9 months pregnant with Gracie.

rooth said...

AB, I feel the same way about adulthood - too many rules and not enough time playing. I'm glad she's settling in and making friends even though there's been a slight adjustment period

Rebecca Jo said...

I "LOST" my license on purpose to get a new pic... the 2nd one is even worse. I swear, I think its a GOAL to get bad license pics. It's what entertains them in the section of Hell they work in