Wednesday, October 12, 2016

the Baby Brigade has a new recruit



I made a goal for myself this month to blog 2-3 times a week all month. Here we are at October 12th and this is only my second post of the month. Much like the pounds I am trying to lose, neither goal has gone according to plan.

Last week was awful. There were some family issues to deal with, Annabelle clogged up a pipe so we couldn't use the washing machine, my car had a flat tire and the furnace needs to be replaced so we don't have heat. My body decided it would be fun to get in on the negative action and I caught a virus and had vertigo. I had never experienced vertigo and I hope I never do again. The first night it happened I couldn't walk straight. I'd see where I was trying to go but walk into the wall. The next day I was laying on the bathroom floor and couldn't get myself off the floor for any longer than it took for me to throw up. (I know what you're thinking and no, I'm not pregnant.) For 45 minutes everything was spinning and I could not have stood up to save my life. Sesame was in the other room yelling "MOM!! I want more yunch! Mom! Where are you? I wanna new show!" She has no bedside manner. At one point I tried to pull myself out of the bathroom but never got farther than halfway out the door. AB came over to investigate and said "What's going on over here, Mama?" with a look on her face that showed she was annoyed I hadn't pulled myself together and gotten her another cheese stick. I'm dying, that's what's going on.

What I'm trying to say is I wasn't physically or mentally capable of blogging.

Good times came rolling into town on Friday. Daniel, Erika and Ivy came up for a visit! We live far from family so it always feel like Christmas when someone comes over. Saturday we had planned on hiking but it was raining on and off so we went to the zoo instead. The polar bear was feeling extra friendly. 
Daniel and Erika left Ivy with us Sunday night through Tuesday morning while they attended a wedding. Ivy's look of concern stayed the whole time she was in our care.
To be fair, I think we've forgotten how to care for a five month old. She was crying nonstop on Sunday night and we couldn't figure out the problem. We rocked her, bounced her, tried giving a bottle, found a pacifier she wasn't interested in but she would not stop. Eventually we decided to change her diaper and bingo. Happy camper. You'd think that we would have remembered about one of the most basic discomforts in a baby's life. 

I'm proud to say that for all of 30 minutes I achieved the simultaneous nap aka the envy of parents around the world. Once minute 31 hit I was staring at a baby who was wondering if my promises of being the coolest aunt around were going to pan out. I thought it would be fun to play dress up and she didn't voice much disagreement. I put her in the same Army bear uniform Annabelle wore her first Halloween. 
Sergeant Sesame in 2014.
The Baby Brigade has some adorable soldiers. Too bad they don't know how to change their own diapers.

2 comments:

Jen said...

The last few photos are too cute!!!

Jane Mc said...

Love the picture of you and Annabelle and the polar bear. Adorable! And your niece is so cute!