Sunday, June 7, 2015

it's all fancy and formal until your bobby pins start popping out

A few weeks ago we were discussing the location of Christopher's battalion ball. He said, "I think it's at Bruce Jenner Hall." Excuse me? I told him I HIGHLY doubted any hall in our area was named after Bruce Jenner. Turns out he didn't have any idea who said individual is and I'm ashamed to admit that I was able to give him a detailed Kardashian/Jenner family tree. Between watching the Bachelorette and knowing about the Kardashian family I'm almost can't look at myself in the mirror. (This was before the recent developments concerning Bruce Jenner that I can't discuss without feeling the need to gag.)
 
The ball was this past Friday night. Everybody knows I love a good ball. Some people (not to name names but Christopher) go half-heartedly but I'm all SIGN ME UP for any event to wear a fancy dress and see people with all manner of paraphernalia on their uniform.
Quick stroll down memory lane. Look how young and thin we were at our first ball.
Not a gray hair in sight.

Normally I have my hairdresser do my hair but this time I decided to attempt it myself. I'm not stupid. I'm terrible at any semi-difficult hairstyle so I knew there was a chance it was probably an awful idea but I tried anyway. Unfortunately all the tutorials said to "tease the hair" and this is what I look like with teased hair.
I'm not exaggerating when I say I did my hair for more than an hour and a half (two Friends episodes!) only to end up with it straightened and in a ponytail. My hair is in a ponytail every single day of my life so it hardly screamed SPECIAL OCCASION HAIR.  I was so frustrated I almost threw in the towel and changed my mind about going. I was this close to giving the babysitter my ticket and spending the evening writing negative reviews on all the "easy 5 minute updo" videos. Short story unnecessarily long, I ended up with my hair in a bun. Not that you can even tell.
Part of the enjoyment I get from balls comes in the form of giving a running commentary on the appropriateness, or lack there of, of dresses I see. It's not annoying at all. Clearly I ride a very high I've been to four balls so I'm an expert horse.
 
In other news, I sat next to a sweet woman I met last October. She loves Annabelle so I frequently text her pictures and we've made plans to get together multiple times. She's a tiny Chinese lady who has a thick accent and speaks about as loud as an ant so conversation is difficult. That explains why I don't know her first name. I didn't understand it the two times she told me the day we met and now we're nine months into our friendship and I refuse to as. I was hoping her husband mention it but no such luck. Mrs. No First Name Thompson she shall remain. 
 


At least I can rest secure in the knowledge that I'm her best friend if she ever needs her hair teased. 

7 comments:

Jen said...

You look gorgeous! Haha I love seeing all the different dresses and commenting, it's pretty funny.

Katie @ Team Skelley said...

As always, your blog makes me giggle. And I love the black dress! I have only been to one Air Force ball but it was way fun. I think I might be tapped to cover a Marine ball this year for the newspaper so that will be interesting.

Miss to Mrs said...

You look beautiful!!! So fancy!!!

I would be a nightmare if I had to attend any kind of formal event at this point in my life. Younger me would have been all over that. Me now would just sit in a corner and cry at the thought of having to put on pretty make up and doing anything with my hair.

Karen H. said...

Beautiful! And I have a couple of people like that in my life - for the life of me, I can't figure out their names or at the very least, how to pronounce it correctly! :)

Michelle said...

I just texted you my Bruce Jenner thoughts, but YOU DON'T KNOW HER NAME?! This is too good. And hilarious. What do you call her? What is she listed in your phone as? I have so many questions.

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

Look both look great!!! And Im glad you didnt end up throwing in the towel!!! Ball's are always so much fun!! Love your dress!!

Bailey Kay said...

You look wonderful! I just spent the weekend with Lydia from "And This Marine Wife" and it was so different being in the military world for a little bit! I was shocked there is a dress code to get into the commissary! I can only imagine what things women wear to the balls.