Friday, March 18, 2016

a guest post and yet another poll

Editorial comments: I've been asking Christopher to write something for the ol' blawg since before we were married. He agreed, probably because he was hoping in return I'd marry him two weeks after we met. We got engaged more than six years ago and needless to say there's been nothing but radio silence from the man of the house. Enjoy what you read here because history shows it will be six years before he writes another guest post.
***
Hi, I’m Christopher.

I have been assuring Sarah that I would write a blog post for her for the entirety of our married life. While we haven’t been married for very long in the grand scheme of things, just shy of five years is quite awhile to put off an item on your ‘honey-do’ list. The reason for my long delay is the high regard I have for this blog. This blog was the way I met my wife. It was a giant, bright spot in my day while I was deployed to Iraq. I read the entire thing as I was writing letters back and forth with Sarah. I cannot exaggerate how special this is to me. I hope this helps to illustrate why I was, and continue to be, very hesitant to write an entry. I needed to tread lightly on such hallowed ground. Whatever my entry was going to be had to be a good one. It had to be funny, and personal, and intelligent, just like the rest of her entries. So…..that didn’t work out. You get this entry instead.

I’m sure you are all aware of the ongoing disconnect between Sarah and I when it comes to names for children. I tend to like much more conservative names, while Sarah is a little more adventurous. She isn’t voting for random nouns to be used as monikers such as Tea Kettle, or Prune, but still, it’s a little shaky. If her taste in names tried to drive across the border into Mexico it would be questioned heavily. “Where are you going? Business or pleasure? How long do you intend to stay? Why is there a silent Q?” It wouldn’t get arrested, but it would get some serious eye-ballin’ by a highly suspicious Federali. There is one exception to this conservative vs. adventurous style of naming though. I am of the opinion, and I am not joking, that if we were to have triplet girls they should be named Violet Chaos, Daisy Mayhem, and Rose Havoc. Again, I am not joking. The first names would be classically girly and respectable, while the middle names would be strong, independent, and (since they’re half MY family) probably fairly accurate. It might also be a slight bit of a safe guard against wimpy husbands. A man needs more than a bit of confidence to ask a girl with a name like that to dance. It also might be able to instill the idea that they can be girly AND strong, feminine AND self-reliant. If nothing else, it’ll warn the world about the true nature of what I have most likely unleashed! Sarah has said that she will perform some of her HTML magic and build a yay-nay vote. I think we all know where I stand. Yay all the way.

This picture is a good visual representation of my mindset on this issue...



Are Choas, Havoc and Mayhem acceptable names for baby girls?

Yes
No
Anyone who thinks they are should not be naming children
Poll Maker

3 comments:

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

OMG, I seriously love that you put a poll at the end of this. And funny I read this post today. We are seriously seriously struggling in the name department. grrrrr.

Laura Darling said...

HAHAHAHA I LOVED THIS. I think Christopher needs to have a monthly feature or something. I love the idea for the triplet names but I don't think Prune is too far afield. People names their kids Apple these days. Why discriminate against other fruits?

P.S. SIX YEARS since you got engaged? Time flies.

Michelle said...

Those first names make me think Christopher's been watching a lot of Downton! I LOVE the first names, but those middle names....no. I got your back on this one, Sarah.