Monday, June 20, 2011

some examples of marital happenings

Example #1
Christopher and I recently had a version of the following conversation while standing near the bureau in our bedroom:


Christopher: "I have basically given up hope of having any kind of manly decorations in this house."
Sarah: "What are you taking about? I don't mind if you put up something manly!" (It's worth noting he doesn't possess many decorations, "manly" or otherwise. We don't exactly have many deer heads up on the wall.)
Christopher: "Look at this bureau. There's a picture frame, two music boxes, a teddy bear, another picture frame, and a candle. There's nothing manly about that."
Sarah: "Yes, there is! There's a little military bear!! He's VERY manly!" 
Christopher: "And what about 'little bear' says manly?"
Sarah: rolls her eyes
the military bear in question
I'd like to point out that the bureau we were discussing is my bureau, not his. I have no objection to him decorating his bureau as he sees fit(as long as it passes my inspection, of course). At present, the only decoration on his bureau is a clothes hanger and quite frankly, I don't see what's so manly about that. 

Example #2
In his spare time, Christopher listens to all sorts of extremely educational podcasts by professors discussing the Civil War, Critical Reasoning for Beginners, Game Theory and the History of Art Patrons. I, on the other hand, have been known to listen to episodes 1-19 of The BigBoo Cast in consecutive order while I work. It's not that I don't like to be educated, it's just that the need to know if Melanie ever found her turquoise shirt or how Sophie plans on spending her weekend sometimes out-weights the need for me to learn about game theory. (I do have my own game theory, by the way: if I don't like or understand the game, I try not to play it. It is a theory that has withstood the test of time.)

Example #3
I made a very astute observation the other day: the house will be neat and tidy from Monday morning all the way until around 6:30 Friday night, when there is a dramatic change. I'm not naming any names here, but one of us is home all day Monday through Friday and the other spends the most time at home from around 6:30 Friday night through Monday morning. 

I will leave you to come to your own conclusions.

No comments: