Wednesday, June 20, 2012

beauty in the ghetto

Last year I had a little pot garden on our patio. This year I have even less space for gardening (and none of it is outdoors), so I had to downsize even more. It takes a bit of creativity (translation- I bought a window box that does not fit the window, I have to take the plants in and out depending on the weather, 18 flies come through the screen-less windows everyday, etc, etc, etc), but I have myself a little garden. I did some investigation and with the exception of one other spot, these are the only flowers within a six block radius of our house. In my mind that immediately makes it the best garden. (There is a bamboo grove up the road and that just boggles my mind. Are there also panda bears in our neighborhood?)

I have two impatiens, a petunia, and a flag in my living room window box. I had to lean waaaay out the  bedroom window to take this picture and I nearly fell out. Had I fallen, I do hope Christopher would have blogged about it.
 
Despite the fact this looks exactly like I put a dandelion plant in a pot, I did not. It's a bright pink Gerber daisy but I forgot to take a picture when it actually had to flowers on it.
I also bought a gardenia plant in hopes that it would survive inside, but it's only half alive right now so I'd say it's chances of living to see another summer are slim. I'm trying to keep it alive until we move in August and I can put it outside.

A few weeks ago I was talking to Christopher about the weather. (The weather is just one of the many topics I frequently feel the need to thoroughly discuss.) Just as I was saying I didn't understand how so many afternoons had gone when it rained while the sun was out yet I hadn't see a rainbow, he pointed out the window. LOW AND BELOW, a rainbow had appeared.
It seems there are things of beauty in the ghetto after all.

2 comments:

Big Cheese said...

..........."God said...I set my rainbow in the clouds
and it shall be a sign of the Covenant between me and the earth."
(Genesis 9:12-13)

........I can't believe how blessed I am to have you as my daughter!!! Amazing writing; sought of Hemingwayisssssh :D

Jenn said...

I'm so glad you photo-documented your ghetto views! Especially with the rainbow. My flowers are all completely dead. Fried to a crisp actually. Oh well, I guess I prefer my thumbs peachy instead of green anyways..