Monday, July 30, 2012

a visit with G.W.

Before I discuss our weekend I need to discuss the Opening Ceremony.

1. I was delighted that the royal family was in attendance, but baffled by how solemn they all were. There was barely a smile in the whole bunch. (I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly say that I'm a fan of Prince Philip. I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves.) 

2. Just when I thought things were getting a little too wild what with all the bad guys of British literature converging in one place, who should appear out of the sky but a MULTITUDE of Mary Poppins. Leave it to Mary to save the day once again.

3. Really. How many people know where Cote-d'ivoire is off the top of their head? Sometimes I think they make these countries up.
***

In keeping with our ancient newly started tradition of visiting presidential homes, we stopped at the Washington's home on Saturday. 
I hate to say anything against George, but he did not have an eye for color when it came to decorating the interior of his home. It was almost painful at times.

He did have an excellent eye for home locations because who wouldn't want a view like this from their back porch?
He had some lovely gardens.
Apparently G.W. was a fan of fancy shrubbery.
Sometimes our attempts at self portraits don't work out as well as others.
I bet George and Martha never had that problem.

No comments: