Monday, June 12, 2017

the travel chronicles- part 2

We've returned from our second trip of the 2017 season of Living Out of a Suitcase.

Speaking of suitcases, I am extremely pleased to report that I achieved my goal of a suitcase weighing less than 50lbs. When the guy at the ticket counter weighed my bag and it was 43lbs I almost did a happy dance. That was the exact number I was going for but I didn't think I'd reach, especially since I had some of Annabelle's things in there. I'll be the first to admit I pack too much. But what if I need to change my shorts three times a day? What if I don't feel like wearing the striped shirt? What if I am invited to dine at the White House? I like to bring plenty of options. Christopher's bag was OVER 50lb both times which brought me great joy. (He'd want you to know he was responsible for carrying all the odds and ends that didn't fit in my bag and he did NOT pack 50lbs worth of clothes but whatever. The scale does not lie.)

During our layover in America's worst airport (Atlanta), the emergency alarm went off. No one but us paid the slightest attention to the man saying "an emergency has been reported. Please remain calm and await further instructions." Christopher said in case of an emergency our meet up spot would be in the back of Atlanta Bread Company. We never found out what the emergency was, but the ceiling above us seemed like a disaster/emergency waiting to happen. The entire thing was exposed and electrical wires were hanging down which didn't give me too much confidence while sitting under it.
We arrived in Texas after suppertime and went to Christopher's parents house for a quick visit. We spent that night at a hotel which delighted Annabelle to no end. She loves the phones (proof that she is my daughter) and the "honeypot", commonly known as the ice bucket. She is so easy to please.

The next morning we went to NASA. I have spent my entire life wanting to be an astronaut so it was a dream come true to go there. I was asked to become an honorary astronaut and naturally I agreed.
Turns out looking like an astronaut doesn't make you one (who knew?). Immediately after the above picture I crashed a shuttle.
The purpose of the trip was to spend a week at a beach house in celebration of Opa's birthday. The beach was beautiful. I couldn't get over how warm the water was. 
Sesame loved every minute of the beach. She's a little fish. 
Aunt Stephanie set up a pirate scavenger hunt for the kids. She's such a cool aunt. 
For three out of the four flights we sat in the very back rows and had no windows. Being a dedicated window seat fan I did not enjoy the arrangement, but I got a lot of reading done. On the first flight home the pilot told us that Donald Trump was arriving at an airport near our destination and we "had to fly extra fast to beat him and avoid the restricted air space." We hurled through clouds so fast the turbulence was awful and poor Sesame got sick. In a way you could say Donny T was responsible for my daughter getting sick. I never get sick on planes but I was holding onto the arm rests and barely kept it together. I popped a Bonine the second the turbulence started which was a dignity saving move.   
We had a wonderful visit but I was so happy to see my bed. I need to invent a way to bring my bed on all my travels, but I have a feeling it would make my suitcase more than 43lbs.

2 comments:

Jen said...

So glad you guys had a great trip! I love NASA, it's such a cool place.

Laura Darling said...

Annabelle calling the ice bucket is the honeypot is the cutest thing I've ever heard. I bet you still have astronaut potential. Practice makes perfect.