Saturday, December 31, 2016

let's finish the year on a negative note

Usually this is the time of year where I reflect on moments of the part year that were special or worth remembering. It's a time when I talk about all the sweet things Christopher did or Sesame said. Not this year, folks. Not this year. Instead I bring to you a list of things that annoyed me this year. 

Hamilton. I tend to avoid things others drool over just to be contrary and Hamilton was no exception. For example, I don't spend hours at Target or Starbucks and avoid any and all Apple products. When we were at the beach house over the summer Mom and I started listening to the Hamilton soundtrack and to say I was unimpressed would be an understatement. The hip hop/rap combination was like screeching cats. The least they could have done was not allow the man who played Hamilton have a goatee. Talk about historically inaccurate. I couldn't get past that. People would have been outraged if a musical was made about Rosa Parks and she was played by a white woman with blond hair. 


Celebrity deaths. Can everyone just calm down when an actor or musician dies? Yes it's sad, but unless you knew them personally it's not necessary to light candles and go into mourning. While we're on the subject, I've heard more than one person say something along the lines of "I can't wait until this year is over because too many people have died." I hate to break it to you, but people are going to die in 2017 also. How's this for a bright and cheery post?


The continued Star Wars obsession. Haven't there already been 17 Star Wars movies? Do we need another? I saw it with Aaron last night and I'm here to tell you from personal experience that the answer is no. 


Man buns. 

Bae. This "word" was in circulation before 2016 but it was particularly annoying to me this year. How hard is it to put in the second 'b' and make a real word? If you don't have time for that you don't have time for the bae to whom you are referring. 

Going overboard with instagram stories. Instagram stories are great for nosy people like me who want to know more about others, but I wish people would learn how to use them well. It shouldn't be yet another way for me to see three more pictures of your poorly lit plate of chicken and rice. I still have issues looking at food pictures stemming from when I was pregnant so this near and dear to my heart. 


Justin Beiber. I don't know why he's still around. He should take a year off and learn how to wear a belt.


Youtube ads that can't be skipped. This is especially annoying when Annabelle is watching Veggie Tales and a preview for Game of Thrones comes on. It's very much a first world problem but I live in a first world country.


Body wraps. Please don't ask if I want to wrap my thighs in herb-infused plastic.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I couldn't agree more! I've been ranting about the celebrity death thing for awhile. Why are people so devastated?

Laura Darling said...

Hahahaha I am cracking up at all of these because I agree with every one so much. My mom and I were just talking about the celebrity death one the other day. It's not like your best friend died. I can tell you the last time I heard someone mention Carrie Fisher before she died last week: NEVER. Yet suddenly all of my facebook friends are devastated over her death. I don't get it. That may or may not factor into my decision to deactivate my facebook. :)

Jen said...

Hahaha I love these! I don't get the whole Star Wars craze either. I never have.

Kara said...

Thank you. The celebrity death thing drives me crazy. Every one is blaming it on the year, like it's actually 2016's fault these people died and next year will somehow have a nicer personality or something. I hate it.

Angi said...

YES. TO ALL OF THESE. Except I do like Star Wars, but that's probably because I married someone who loves it and so there's a little bit of a trickle-down factor there.

But the rest...a thousand high fives to you.

Speaking of Game of Thrones ads (ugh, why do people watch that?) while Annabelle is trying to watch Veggie Tales, have you seen that YouTube video where the little boy is telling the Amazon Echo gadget thing to "Play Digger, Digger" and the Echo starts rattling off all these dirty words (thinking her said...something else...) and the parents are freaking out trying to get it to stop? HILARIOUS.

Lisa said...

Loved this post and I feel the same way!!