Thursday, February 15, 2018

acts of love

I spent my Valentines day at the doctor, cleaning up two accidents and paying the washing machine repair man $79 to pull an apron out of the water pipe. It was every bit as romantic as it sounds.
After Sesame's appointment, we did a few errands and I rewarded us with a trip to DD. I had a coupon for a free doughnut and I know a girl who loves her some sugar.
I planned on making pancakes for lunch and needed maple syrup and a few things for supper so we stopped by the grocery store. I let her use the little cart and after 30 minutes of trying to help her navigate the store, I'm here to say she is not ready for her license. 

"MAMA! Can I make it go swoooosh down da food road?"
"I don't think that's..."
"SWOOOOOOSSSSHHH! DERE IT GOES! I WILL GO CATCH IT!"
Annabelle was confused as to why Christopher was working on a holiday. It was mind-boggling to her that he'd have to work while we stayed home and had pink and orange pancakes for lunch. I've been equally as mind-boggled many times in the past when the government required Christopher to work on a day I felt should be spent at home celebrating with me and my fancy straws. The apple did not fall far from the mother tree. We went to the movie theater to see Coco as a family after work. I went prepared with snacks. I smuggled in two small bags of potato chips, a bag of torilla chips, a piece of banana bread (per AB's request) and a water bottle. Fyi, you can fit a lot in those little Skip Hop backpacks. For someone who follows every rule I am good at breaking the no outside food in theaters rule. The movie was so much better than I was expecting and it was a fun little family event. 
We stayed very low-key with gifts. I gave Christopher an umbrella because he needed one. Newlywed Sarah would never have given such a boring gift. When we were at CVS I bought a Kinder egg for Sesame to give Christopher. I've never had one but he mentioned several months ago how much he liked them. I thought it would be a sweet little sentimental gift from his daughter. When she gave it to him he said he never had a Kinder egg in his life. I was SO sure he had said it was a treasured treat from his past. It was the thought that counted.

I wasn't anticipating the confusion buying an egg would cause. AB had a lot of questions about it, specifically wondering if the Easter Bunny was going to deliver it. I explained so many times that just because we were giving an egg didn't mean it was Easter but eventually I gave up and said sure, the Easter Bunny can give Daddy the egg. She had a point. It is weird to have eggs on Valentine's day. 

Annabelle has been asking for paper clips and we sped by some as we were charging down the aisles of the grocery store. That one dollar has brought her so much happiness. 
We wrote things we love about Annabelle and taped them to her bedroom door. I called it a heart attack. It's hard to read, but mine say "I love you the best. I love you the most. I love you the always." We say it to each other every night. I'd translate Christopher's but his handwriting is difficult to read.
This is one of the heart attack hearts I wrote for Christopher. If that wouldn't be an act of true love I don't know what is.

Annabelle made me this portrait of myself. I'm touched she spent time on it but HORRIFIED that I look like this to her. She did nail the top bun.
Christopher should have gotten me a gift certificate for botox. 

4 comments:

Michelle said...

An apron out of a water pipe?!?! If it makes you feel better, James got me Easter candy for Valentine’s Day too! It made me laugh.

rooth said...

LOL at the portrait - oh dear. I love the heart attack idea!

Laura Darling said...

I need to know more about the apron in the water pipe?! I can understand the confusion about the Kinder eggs and the associated holiday.

I don't think I've ever had one either!

Sunday School said...

Was it a Pioneer Woman apron?