Friday, October 19, 2018

home sweet (little) home

The day has finally come.

It's time for Annabelle to get her own home and move on out. She's mooched off us long enough.
"Ya talkin' 'bout me?"
Christopher found plans and bought the wood for her new abode. It sat in our living room for several weeks due to weather. I felt like we had moved into the lumber department at Home Depot.
I won't lie- I had serious doubts about his ability to build something with any kind of structural integrity. It's not that I didn't have any faith in him, but I really didn't have faith in him.
Color me surprised when it started to come together.
Then tragedy hit. The floor fell apart when we moved it onto the cement blocks. I tried to be helpful by removing the bent nails and reassembling the floor using the screw gun. I had never used a screw gun before and probably won't use one again. I couldn't get the screws further in than halfway. I was not strong enough. All those exercises I've been doing have been in vain! 
After many days of cutting, nailing, painting and MUCH MUCH sweating the house is nearly complete. I still need to retouch some paint on the inside and decorate a little more, but for a starter home it's darling. 
I had visions of decorating with fabric and pompom garlands but I let Annabelle have a say in decor. She chose a safety theme. That was nowhere near my top 15 ideas but it's her house. It looks a little sparse so I'm going to look for a little table and chairs at thrift shops. Maybe I'll fill a plastic firefighter helmet with water and fill in with flowers as a centerpiece. 
Yesterday we pretended it was a Dunkin Donuts. Annabelle loves their "hashfries" (hashbrowns) so I made some out of felt. 
I'm glad her new home isn't too far away. I just hope she'll be a good neighbor.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

This is incredible! I hope the frogs stay out of it.

Jen said...

This is so darn cute!!!! I love it!

rooth said...

What a cute little house! I also love her theme - such a prudent girl

Julie said...

Wow!!! Christopher did a great job. It's so cute. Gotta love a safety theme! LOL

Meg Taylor said...

This is absolutely adorable!! How do you basically have a teenager at home?! Wasn't she just born?? I love this little house!

Meg, Borrowed Heaven