Tuesday, August 11, 2020

water time extravaganza

This summer hasn't felt very summery. I like to spend the summer exploring parks, playing in splash pads and visiting with our friends. None of our splash pads are open and playdates have been few and far between. The YMCA's outdoor pool opened right before we went to MA which was very exciting. We went once and I wanted to go again before they inevitably close before the scheduled date. The first time we went they took our temperature at the front window. AB's was normal but mine registered around 95*. The girl shrugged her shoulders and said, "That's probably not right but at least you don't have a fever." I might be dying from an unknown infection and my body be seconds away from complete failure but I don't have the 'rona! Let's go for one last swim before I die. 

Annabelle starts school on Friday (I am already wearing my traditional mourning outfit) which will limit our days together, so yesterday I was determined that we'd have a good summer day. It would be Water Time Extravaganza. Extravaganza was a bit of a stretch but why use an ordinary word when you can use a word that really pops. We bathing suited up, slathered on the sunscreen, and rolled into the parking lot just after the Y pool opened. AB couldn't wait to swim. Alas, the internet had lied and they were closed. We made a new plan which involved powdered munchkins and making a water park in the backyard. I turned on music and added soap to make the slipnslide more slippery. We had a picnic and popsicles. It was the best time. 
 
I'm still mourning that she's going to school but I'm so glad we had one good day of summer fun. And I'm thankful that I don't appear to be in danger of major organs failing after all. 

PS. You can take the girl out of New England but you can't take New England out of the girl.

2 comments:

Julie said...

All good NE girls always have a Dunks iced coffee handy

rooth said...

The splash pad by our house is PACKED with kids and parents - no masks and no social distancing. I think parents have given up after being cooped up with their kids for 6 months - who can blame them