Tuesday, June 4, 2013

your vote could save our marriage


Christopher and I often disagree on the proper method of thawing any raw meat, but chicken in particular. Below you will find a description of our methods with NO INDICATION of which method is mine and which is his. Please cast your vote about who you think is (more) correct.

Vote for mine and I'll send you a Macy's gift card. Vote for his and he'll be saying, "See! I told you!" for the next 58 years.

Method One
Remove chicken from freezer at least 24 hours ahead of cooking time. Let it chill out in the refrigerator until thawed and you're ready to cook. If necessary, it is acceptable to run cold water over the chicken to speed up the thawing process. Be sure it is properly thawed before cooking. Clean area surrounding raw chicken with disinfecting wipes.

Method Two
Take chicken out of the freezer the night before you plan on cooking with it. If it's thawed when time to cook it, excellent. If not, run it under warm water to speed things up. 

Method Three
Buy a rotisserie chicken.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Method One would be the method I would pick and most often used in our household! May the best method win! :)

Kara said...

I normally don't remember to take it out early enough, so I let it sit out, hoping it thaws faster. If it does thaw fast enough, then I'll throw it in the fridge. Some kid usually manages to tip the plate getting chicken juice all over the fridge. Dang kids. Method one is preferred, but isn't always realistic.

Rachel said...

Method one is the one I would do...

Jamie said...

I usually do #2 but I am going to guess that #1 is how its probably supposed to be done.

Allison said...

I try to use method 1 when I thaw meat but usually I forget to take the meat out 24 hours in advance. I have found that usually, taking it out the night before is usually enough time to thaw the meat completely. But for the sake of your argument, I would say method 1.

Jen said...

#1! :) You should never thaw meat with warm water.

Anonymous said...

One, for sure.

Laura Darling said...

I'll be totally honest, I'm usually a method 3 girl. But if I am going to make some fancy home cooked chicken, I go with method 1.

Jenn said...

I feel like you are option 1 (the correct way) and Christopher might be option 3. Just a guess. And naturally, you just reminded me that I forgot to thaw out chicken last night for tonight's dinner. I am WINNING.

Sara L said...

I am a total method 2 girl! The microwave on defrost works too!

Allison said...

Method two? Plus leaving it out on the counter if its not defrosted enough the morning I'm going to cook with it. Ugh I don't know which way you thnk is right and now I need to kill myself!