Sunday, June 19, 2016

I keep telling myself that the more I sweat the less I'll jiggle

I haven't blogged as much lately because I've been busy running. 

No one is more shocked by this highly unusual turn of events than I am.
I'm with Amy. Vertical running is too much work.
I don't like running. The farthest I ran all fall and winter was from the car to the front door. Part of me thinks it would be nice to run 12 miles without a care in the world, but the second I start running I feel like I'm dying and I begin planning what my funeral program should look like. Christopher mentioned he was going to do the Couch to 5K program and my head told me not to say anything, but my mouth said, "I'll do it with you!"

As life would have it, I am the only one who has been sticking to the program with any regularity. Just because he isn't as faithful doesn't mean I'm going to quit. In fact, 85% of the reason I'm continuing is just so I can beat him. He's very uncompetitive but I'm the middle of five kids. I learned how to compete for what I wanted. Most of our conversations about competition go something like this:

Me: Want to play a game? 
Christopher: Sure.
Me: Which one? I'll beat you at any.
Christopher: You probably will.

It's not as fun when your opponent doesn't care.


All the sweat must have gone to my brain because on Wednesday I found myself in an office with a personal trainer named Sue measuring my hips and bust. Again, HIGHLY UNUSUAL ACTIVITY for someone who enjoys drinking ice coffee while laying on the couch and moving as little as possible. Sue showed me around the cardio area and asked how often I want to come in for my new workout regime. "Maybe three times a week? Four?" I shut that down real fast. I'm impressed with people who work out hours each day, but I'm not one of them. I enjoy an hour or two of zumba and I suffer through half hour runs. I have about an hour beyond that I'm looking to fill with new exercises.
I don't want to spend 240 minutes a week on a machine that looks like this. 
Besides, we have to park down the hill from the Y and thanks to Annabelle's ancient snail pace of a walk and her insistence in touching every single link in the chain along the way, it takes us 10 minutes to make it to the building. That walk alone earns me my daily chocolate. I have to replenish those lost calories somehow. 

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yay for running!!!! :)