Monday, September 17, 2018

somehow every post turns into a discussion of the heat

Back in our childless days, we spent several weekends driving to Nashville for concerts and events. It was a carefree, laidback time.

This weekend we met Pete the Cat. 

How the times have changed. 

Where before we clapped for Josh Turner, we now count down the days until we can meet a blue cat in the multi-purpose room of the local library. I really talked up how fun it would be to meet him because I didn't want to get there and have AB be too scared to say hello. The last time we met characters at the library I had to be the one to hold their hands to show her they were nice. The day before the meet and greet, Annabelle told me, "You know, Mom. It will only be a person that's dressed up like a Pete." Why is the magic of childhood already fleeting? I thought for sure she'd think he was the real deal.

Sesame wanted to bring little Pete the stuffed animal to meet big Pete. We were making labels the other day (we were very bored) and she wanted one that said Max for Pete to wear as a collar. Maybe Pete has a double identity that I don't know about. She got a blue guitar painted on her face and would have left a happy camper had that been the only activity. 
Look at the joy on her face! She forgot what she said about him not being real when she saw him. She went right up and hugged him like an old friend. 
Big Pete liked Little Pete aka Max and flashed his signature two thumbs up. "Mama, I think he thought that my Pete was groovy. Don't you think so? Pete likes groovy things. Big Pete, not little Pete. Little Pete is only a pretend stuffed animal. I don't know what he likes since he's not real. What does he like? Do you know? I think he likes his new shoes. Does he like new shoes?"

I spent some time in that afternoon painting Annabelle's new playhouse. Shortly I'll be able to do a big reveal but I want to document now that it is a labor of true love to build a playhouse in this burning furnace of a place. It's been never-ending heat for almost seven straight months now. I am over it. I'm ready for cooler weather and by that I mean I'll take anything below 70*. I just want it to be below 96* at 6:30pm! I've asked around when it will get cooler and the general consensus is "maybe November." NOVEMBER. I saw an ad for deodorant specially formulated for Georgia heat and immediately ordered some. I don't know if it's really different from any other deodorant but the ad reeled me in, hook line and sinker. I will do anything. 

We walked to the mailbox today and Annabelle brought the stepstool so she could reach the mail. Not 12 feet into our lengthy walk, she asked me to carry the stool because "It's so hot. It's one inch hotter than Africa out today." Inches, degrees. Potatoes, poetatoes. 
Out of the mouth of babes.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

That girl cracks me up! She's so creative. I love the stool aspect. Haha.

Rebecca Jo said...

haha - that's now how I'll refer to hot days myself - one inch hotter than Africa :) that's so cute!
I just wish you had a pic of you holding hands with a character while your child looks on :)

Jen said...

Haha she is amazing! That photo of her and big Pete the Cat is adorable!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Oh no. Georgia heat? I am so sorry. Particularly as it looks like you have a curly-haired girl there. My mother has not-fond memories of trying to control my own crazy curls when we lived in Georgia for a few years. I was about your daughter's age, and my memories are also not fond, thanks to all the snarls and yanking combs.

rooth said...

That driveway is so pretty though. It's still hot here, I feel ya. I don't think it'll ever end and although when it's cold, I'm sure I'll complain a ton more

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

It is still so hot here too. Ugh. How fun to meet Pete!