Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Coffee talk

The hunt for a new church continues. It's been a long and arduous process with very little success. I'm tempted to start Mattress Springs Baptist at home and not leave the bed on Sunday morning but we press on. We were invited to a friends church and have attended the last three weeks. Somewhere along the line, they got our contact information so Bev from the welcome committee showed up on our front step today. I wasn't going to answer the door but she saw me look at her through the window so I had no choice. We had just gotten home from swimming and running errands in the 100* weather and I was in no shape to be entertaining. No doubt Bev thought this when she saw me.
Bev acknowledged that they like to "show up unannounced." I guess she hasn't read the Sarah Version of the Bible that reads, "And do not catch people unaware and in a hairstyle they do not wish to be seen in, but alert them before you show up midafternoon on a Wednesday." But she brought us a Dunkin Donuts gift card so I guess that answers the question of which church we'll be joining. 

Speaking of coffee, last week I went to the fancy coffee shop on the other side of town. Their website says they're "Springville's premier coffee shop" which isn't a difficult accomplishment given that they're Springville's ONLY coffee shop. I rolled up to the order window and stared stupidly at the girl when she asked what I'd like. I completely forgot where I was and what I was there for. I looked at her and she looked at me. It was as if I had never used a drive through before.

Speaking of drive-throughs, I've had to give Sesame many a lesson on drive-through etiquette lately. It's a known fact that the driver gets the orders of all passengers before approaching the order box and said passengers need to be quiet while the driver orders. AB knows this. She's been to many a drive-through in her short life, but for some reason she's decided I haven't done a sufficiant job ordering and she'll call out her order from the backseat as I'm speaking. I know if we go to Chickfila she'll want a kids meal with 6 nuggets, fries and a small lemonade. She gets the same thing every time. I'll be in the middle of ordering and she'll yell out, "DON'T FORGET MY KIDS TOY! DON'T FORGET MY YEMONADE!" At Dunkin Donuts she'll call out, "Can I have hashfries? Can I have milk? Do they have doughnuts today?" as I place my medium iced coffee, regular sugar extra cream order. The worker can't hear so I have to repeat but AB thinks she needs to repeat. It's chaos. If she thinks she's so great to ordering she can start paying too. I'll be over in the corner watching the whole thing while I drink my free coffee courtesy of Bev.  

3 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

We visited a church where a friend was preaching for the first time - they gave us a gift card to Starbucks & I was like, MMMM, maybe we need to move churches :) #havecoffeewillfollow

I have done that before at Starbucks - I order the same thing 6 days a week (if not more) & will have it happen where I stand at the counter & my brain just shuts down!!! Like I've never ordered before. Then I'm off to WebMD to convince myself I'm losing my brain & will be dying very soon.

Michelle said...

Gracie is a backseat orderer too! She’ll try to order FOR me (and herself) and scream over what I’m saying. And yet i used to be so shy it took me years to work up the nerve to drive myself through a drive-thru.

Rachel said...

They like to show up unannounced?! What kind of crazy talk is that?!