Saturday, January 13, 2018

none of us will be competing at the winter olympics

Annabelle has been asking to go ice skating for months so I finally took her this week. I can't skate well on the best of days so taking her was extremely optimistic on my part. This is actual footage of our entire time on the ice.
It was one slip and fall after another. Annabelle wasn't expecting the ice to be cold (???) and would have a small panic attack every time she fell. "It's cooooo'd! It's too cooooo'd!" She'd pull on my pants and jacket while I tried to pull her up and I'd nearly topple over in the process. Thank God for Auntie Elizabeth who took over and managed to make AB feel like she was really skating. It took half an hour but we finally made it around the rink and AB even stood by herself for a few seconds. Meanwhile, I was bent over the wall trying to work the kinks and sore muscles out of my back because apparently I'm now 147 years old. 

Sesame took a little rest as I retied her skates. It's hard work, literally being supported hand and foot.
At least we looked cute. Look at me with my arm behind my back like a professional speed skater. Maybe I'll make it to the Olypmics after all.

4 comments:

Jen said...

This would be me as well, I would be falling all over the place.

Laura Darling said...

It looks like you had the rink to yourselves!! I am not even close to coordinated enough to successfully ice skate. I'm lucky if I can stay upright walking to my car in sturdy boots. I love watching figure skating during the Olympics and I am especially fascinated with the speed skating. I do not understand how people can essentially run, on ice, on a thin blade. Magic.

Karen H. said...

Maybe she will be the next Tonya Harding or Nancy Kerrigan? ;)

rooth said...

The bf plays hockey so we went skating a few months back. I looked like a fool in hockey skates and ALSO complained about the cold :)