Monday, June 11, 2012

deer and owls and bears, oh my!

After the motorcyle shenanigans of last Saturday, we returned this weekend to our usual Saturday tradition of visiting old homes and historic site.

This house wasn't too shabby.
Most places we've visited so far have been lacking in the animal department, so I was delighted so see a herd of goats. I named this goat Cyrus, but when we discovered that he was actually a she, I renamed it Beverly.
This goat was particularly friendly. I think he was saying something along the lines of, "HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO girl with two braids that I would so love to nibble on!"
Our second stop (technically our third because of course we stopped for lunch) was an old estate turned into a park/garden/wildlife exhibit. We saw buffalo, owls, a bear (at least the sign said that the small black bump in the rocks was a bear), and a bobcat. 
I loved the deer. It was so cute when one deer looked like she was kissing the other that I said, "OH DEER. Isn't that sweet?!" Apparently I just crack myself up with word play. (Last week I almost took a picture of the can of olives that said "Live OLIVE life to the fullest." I only stopped myself because I started thinking about what on earth I'd do with a picture of a can of olives. So says the girl who took a picture of a bag of onions because it had Josh Turner's face of it.)
Last, but certainly not least, we saw two bald eagles! The whole time we lived on the river in New York I watched the sky for bald eagles but never saw any. I did see the yards and homes of our neighbors across the water much more clearly thanks to my special eagle watching binoculars. It was hard not to be nosy interested in fellow people while searching for birds I never saw.
I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend. 

Or should I say, OLIVE you.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

The Shirley Plantation! Fun! And where do you get these Josh Turner onions?? I think I would buy onions a lot more if his face was on them.

Also,I am having wicked cases of amnesia lately... Did I send you a thank you note for the pasta yet? I am starting to twitch a little with thoughts that I haven't....