Monday, October 30, 2017

halloween happenings

Back in January I said I was going to blog more frequently. I've only blogged twice in the last eight days so it's safe to say that goal is not being achieved.

On Thursday I took Annabelle to the shoe store. I rarely buy clothes for her when she's with me because it's so much easier to do it alone. Beyond her Minnie Mouse rain boots and wanting to wear dresses she hasn't voiced much of an opinion about clothes. Picking out her clothes myself is a train I intended to ride as far as the track will take me. I mentioned she would need new sneakers soon and she said she wanted light up shoes. She was very specific about which kind of light up shoes so we went together. She wanted light up shoes with characters on the side. I found a Frozen pair in her size but she didn't want Frozen characters. Is her Frozen obsession coming to an end? Has the earth started to rotate in the opposite direction? Next we tried on Paw Patrol shoes and she liked them but said she "didn't like them enough so let's look at the other shoe store." After the third pair (lights but no characters) didn't meet her approval we went to Target. There we found a pair that her friend at school has and she fell in love with them. They do not have any characters on the side. The fact that we could have bought non-character shoes at the first store and called it a day is not lost on me. 

That might be the most boring paragraph I have ever written in my life but it does have a point. The point is I went to Target. I seldom go to Target but I found myself there twice in one day. While perusing the shoe and pullup aisles I came across a lion costume. I haven't yet nailed down what I'll be for halloween but a lion is within the right theme. That is how I found myself trying a lion onesie costume in the Target dressing room. If you thought I was going to try it on in the middle of the pajama/lingerie section for all to see you haven't been around here long enough. 
I think the socks are the perfect touch.
Listen. I'm not proud of how I look in either of these pictures but I need you to know exactly what I'm dealing with in the costume department. I have 18 hours before I have to be wearing a costume at trunk or treat so I need to decide on something asap. This Halloween business it too much. I need to go back to not acknowledging the day even exists. 
In other Halloween news, why do preschool moms go all out for every holiday? When I brought AB to MDO today I went by countless parents with highly decorated cookies, fruit wrapped in dough to look like mummies and containers of playdough with pipe cleaner spider legs glued on top. You know what I brought to the party? Apple cider. I signed up to bring apple slices for tomorrow's party and am feeling the pressure to cut them out with a cookie cutter in the shape of a pumpkin. I love a good celebration but it never occurred to me that I needed to bring personalized gifts for everyone in the class on Halloween. I save my classroom creativity for Christmas and Valentines. 

My costume is not be finalized but Annabelle will be wearing her tiger costume to MDO tomorrow. The glue might still be wet from the final gluing tonight but she'll be rocking her fancy light up sneakers.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

The moms be crazy!!!

rooth said...

I love how she's holding on to your tail in the second picture :)