Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Just Me and My Grandma's


Like most people, I have two grandmothers. Unlike most people, I have the world's greatest grandmothers.

{There's nothing like starting off with a controversial statement.}

I am so pleased to introduce you to my dear, wonderful Grandma number 1.

{For the sake of clarification, "number 1" means she's being featured first, not that I love her more. It also has to do with the fact we call both grandmothers "grandma" which can lead to some confusion. }

For the almost 21 years of my life, I have lived next to this peach of a person:

April2010298-2.jpg picture by sarahbelle528
Of the almost 7,665 days of my life, I've seen Grandma almost every single one. You can grow very close and attached to someone you see so often! She loves to help others. When the twins were born, Grandma took a long break from her weekly card games with the ladies so she could do the grocery shopping for Mom. I usually went with her and we'd stop at McDonalds on the way home to have lunch together. She's so helpful that when there was police activity going on a few streets over, she walked right up to a policeman and asked him if he needed any help. It's been said that she's so friendly that people she meets in the grocery store probably send her Christmas cards.

Grandma taught me how to play Rummy and we now spend our Thursday nights doing just that.

April2010247-1.jpg picture by sarahbelle528
She usually wins but I have noticed a definite improvement in my playing lately{hallelujah!}. Take a look at the picture and notice specifically the cards we're each holding. She has two and I have eight. Chances are that right after this picture Grandma went out leaving me with all those cards in my hand. I would have then had to subtract them from the cards on the table which made me lose 45 points. I'm quite familiar with the whole process, in case you couldn't tell. Card playing is not in vain even when I lose; all the fun,laughter and Peanut Butter cups are so worth it.

She's not only one of MY favorite grandma's, just ask my friends: they all call her Grandma too. See, that's the mark of true grandma...everybody else wants her too.

Grandma number 2, aka Grandma Connie, aka far-away Grandma

April2010179-2-1-1.jpg picture by sarahbelle528

Grandma Connie is one of the funniest, sweetest, happiest people I know. She has the greatest personality and will draw anyone in. One time when we were visiting her and Grandpa in Florida, we stopped at BJ's to order pizza. The lady behind the counter had a sour look on her face and just wasn't very nice. As we walked away, Grandma said: "you know, maybe she's had a rough day." Sure enough, when we went to pick up the pizza she talked to Irene and yes, in fact, she was having a bad day. Grandma was so sweet and patient with her and by the time we left, she was smiling.{Doesn't that sound like a Chicken Soup for the Soul story?}. Speaking of stories, Grandma can tell a story like nobodies business. She's so animated and literal about everything we laugh the whole time we're together.
This Grandma is my fashionable grandma. She loves big jewelry, purses and her outfits always go together perfectly. Whenever I wear bigger than normal for me jewelry, I always call it "my Grandma Connie jewelry".

The only problem with far-away Grandma is that she's far-away. We don't get to see and hug her nearly enough. Even so, she's still one of my very favorite people.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Your grandmothers sound awesome! That is so neat that you live right next door to one! Your Grandma Connie sounds like my Mommom with her style. She is 82 years old but looks so young and is always up to date with the latest trends. It's unbelievable. She is way more i tune with fashion than I am!

Keri said...

I laughed out loud at your Grandma Connie jewelry line. Sounds like my Gram!!!