Thursday, February 18, 2010

Recipe and "Stuff"

This recipe was sent to me by my Amish pen-pal, Anna. I made it tonight for our last family supper with Andrew as he is now--a single young man. *cue to bring in the tissue box* It was good. So good. It can be compared to the dairy lovers paradise and the calorie counters nightmare. As Erika put it, "it has about 1,000 calories per tablespoon." From someone who doesn't count calories to those that do, its worth every last one. Without further yammering on adieu, I give to you:

Cheeseburger Soup

Bake together at 350 for 2-3 hours:
1 stick butter
2 lbs. ground beef
1 cup finely chopped onions

Cook together until soft, add a little salt:
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
3 1/3 cup chopped potatoes
2 2/3 TLBS chicken base
3 2/3 tsp. basil
3 2/3 tsp. parsley
salt to taste

When the vegetables begin to soften, mix in the ground beef.

Sauce:
1 tsp pepper
9 cups milk
1 cup flour
1 stick butter
1 lb. cheese{I used extra sharp cheddar}
1 cup sour cream

For the sauce: melt the butter, add flour and slowly stir in milk. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the cheese is melted. Mix all ingredients.
Anna wasn't very clear in her directions so I had to use common kitchen sense to fill in the spaces. I cut the recipe in half because some in my family are allergic to dairy{not to mention the 1 lb of cheese and 9 cups of milk is ALOT}, and added extra chicken base, but it turned out fine. I also used oregano instead of basil and parsley since we're currently out of both.

***
Business Matters

1) As mentioned, Andrew is getting married this Saturday. Along with all the hoopla and excitement that comes along with weddings, the grooms family also has the added pleasure of hosting the rehearsal dinner. We're actually getting quite good at rehearsal dinners; Daniel's was only 4 months ago. We're considering starting a rehearsal dinner company to earn some extra money. {How do I get so off track?} All that is to say that I won't be on the computer much now through Saturday. Therefore, please don't be offended worry if your comments do not appear in a timely fashion. The moderator just possibly is up to her elbows in chicken and rice.

2) Thank you to all the wonderful ladies who have entered my giveaway. I've gone to each of your blogs and spent time poking around them. I can't wait to see who wins!

3) Its 1:12am and I have to take a shower before bed, so the business meeting is now adjourned.

No comments: