Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Three Cheers for the Red,White, and Blue

The Fourth of July is one of my very favorite holidays, right up there with Christmas and National Baby Kissing Day. (If National Baby Kissing Day not a real holiday already, I am MORE than willing to be the founder.) 
As this was the first time Christopher and I had company over for a holiday, I made an extensive meal chart/grocery list based on our many detailed conversations on the what-to-eat topic. In the end, we had the typical hamburgers, salad, chips and dip meal. Somewhere in the midst of all the planning, we forgot to schedule in the warming up of the baked beans. That error was duly noted and will not be repeated next year. 
We did quite well in the condiments department. Our guests were not left without options. 
After the eating was over, we broke out Rummikub. I don't remember who won, but I distinctly remember that is wasn't me.
I most certainly was not looking at someone else's pieces in order to take this picture. I would NEVER do that. 
While we played, Elizabeth frolicked with Chief. To her, he is, " THE BEST DOG IN THE WHOLE WORLD". (I have NO idea who she gets her excessive use of capital letters from.)  
Some people took this game very seriously (see below photo.). Some people spent most of the game time talking and taking pictures and then talking some more (see the name at the bottom of this post).
We now come to the very sad part of the day. The part of the day when Christopher and I were forced to part ways while he goes to the field and I go back to the state of my birth. In an effort to not become too depressed about the current situation, I got into the van and immediately took a two hour nap followed by a handful of trail mix with a higher-than-average ratio of chocolate to nuts.

Because we were en route all evening, we were unable to watch the Boston Pops 4th of July concert, aka my very favorite concert that I watch every year without fail. Last year Katie and I took the train into Boston to see the rehearsal and it was fabulous. I couldn't go all day without a patriotic sing-along, so I led my family in a rousing time of song courtesy of a Wee Sing America book, circa 1992. 

I'm sure I would have made Keith and the Pops proud with my stellar conducting skilz.

No comments: